MagicBulletBooks is the Kindle formatting system provided for free with AuthorTheme. It helps authors create properly formatted Kindle books quickly and easily using a visual editor similar to WordPress or Microsoft Word.
Smashwords offers quick and easy ebook distribution to most of the world’s largest ebook retailers. We provide free tools for marketing, distribution, metadata management and sales reporting. At Smashwords, our authors and publishers have complete control over the sampling, pricing and marketing of their written works. Smashwords is ideal for publishing novels, short fiction, poetry, personal memoirs, monographs, non-fiction, research reports, essays, or other written forms that haven’t even been invented yet.
Smashwords allows you to upload your ebook in either Microsoft Word or EPUB format. MagicBulletBooks produces HTML which is not directly compatible with Smashwords. However, it is not difficult to prepare your MagicBulletBooks content for use on the Smashwords platform by converting to a Microsoft Word (or the free alternative Open Office) document. Simply follow the steps below:
- Extract the book ZIP file produced by MagicBulletBooks to your desktop or a folder of your choice.
- Inside the extracted contents of the ZIP you’ll find a HTML file of your book (along with all the support files and images). This will be the file with the .html file extension.
- Open this HTML file in Microsoft Word (or Open Office if you don’t have Word).
- It may take a while for the file to open but Word should import the book contents, styles and images into a pretty close approximation of the original layout. Have a scan through to make sure everything is in order and make any adjustments required. The simpler the original formatting the less likely you’ll need to make any edits (hence the general advice to keep your formatting simple). Hyperlinks should all word fine without edits, including the table of contents, but check a few links just to make sure.
- Now save as a .doc file (Word 97-2003). If you see a checkbox that says “Maintain compatibility with Word 97-2003” then make sure it is checked. If you are using Open Office rather than Word you should be able to find the option to save in Word .doc (Microsoft Word 6.0, 95, and 97/2000/XP) format under the Save As menu option.
You can upload this doc file to Smashwords. Once imported you can export from Smashwords to MOBI, EPUB, PDF formats so you can distribute your book for just about any platform.